N-Ewes from Hopeful Shetlands

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Goodbye Friend

Sadly, my faithful guard dog, Nick, passed on the other evening. He just went to sleep a few minutes after supper. I had seen him not five minutes before, going for a drink of water, and then just went to sleep. Nick and I had a rough start together. He came from a friend's farm, with another guard dog, Kayla, and let me know from the start that he wasn't sure if he would be listening to me. Finally after one evening of standing with my arm in the air pointing for 20 minutes, after giving him a command to leave, he did leave and then promptly turned to see if I was still there. I was, and he followed the command and every one I gave after. He had an injury last summer defending his flock and combined with this winter, it took a lot out of him. I was glad I was home to give him his morning hug and tail scratch before he left us. He was old, 10, and I will miss him. Kayla raised him from a pup and is having trouble adjusting to life without him, but I think will do well. Have a good rest Nick, you deserve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home