N-Ewes from Hopeful Shetlands

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

View From The Farm

Time marches on and my white rock chicks arrived yesterday.  I settled all the little yellow puffballs into their new home and watched them start to eat and explore.  I think baby chicks are the cutest and I am always amazed at how quickly they grow and change. I feel somewhat sorry for this type of chick because they grow at such an enormous rate and their chests are so large and heavy for them.  It isn't natural really.  I will put most of them out on pasture when they are feathered out and they will have time to just be a chicken before it's off to the freezer. Another thing that surprises me is the barn cats never touch or eat the baby ducklings or chicks.  They will sit and watch them hopping about but if a sparrow or something else hops on by it is gone in a flash.  I guess they just know that they belong.  Enjoy the pics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home