N-Ewes from Hopeful Shetlands

Friday, April 01, 2011

First Shetland Lambs

March 31st my first purebred shetland lambs were born a lovely black gulmoget ram and a dark brown gulmoget ewe.  I put them and mom in a jug and went off to work.  When I returned home at one I was missing a lamb.  The little ewe had somehow gotten out of the jug and was laying half frozen between a couple of hay bales.  Needless to say, I now have a bottle lamb and thankfully it is a ewe.  Mom took her back no problem so she will stay with her family, but she just can't figured out the whole nursing thing.  Mom is older and a bit on the thin side so it will all work out for the best anyway.  I have 9 more ewes to lamb and so far all have twinned.  However the boys are ahead of the girls.  I don't care if they are rams for my crosses but I hope the rest of my shetlands are ewes.  Enjoy the photos.

2 Comments:

  • SO glad you found the little ewe before it was too late! She has such tiny eye flashes. Don't you just love the baby gullies?

    By Blogger Michelle, at 3:04 PM  

  • Hi, Yes I sure do. They are so tiny but it is amazing how quickly they grow and how hardy they are., Michele

    By Blogger Hopeful Farm, at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home